Monday, February 3, 2014

The Second Half

The Second Half

Based on a true story.


My daughter and her friends were discussing books.
One friend says, "Speaking of books, my mom's reading one and won't pull her head out of her laptop long enough to do anything else."
Misty: "What's she reading?"
Friend: "I think it's called Butt Assets."
Misty: "Do you mean Bare Assets?" (At this point, I'm laughing so hard, I nearly pee my pants. I can't imagine what must be going through this child's mind. But let's face it...Butt Assets? What a great erotica title.) Bahaha. Anyway, on with the story.
Misty's friend: "Bare Assets! That's the name of it! How'd you know?"
Misty: "Because my mom wrote it." (Now, I can only imagine what's going through my daughter's mind and the minds of all the girls who are still stuck on the Butt Assets title. After all, my mind's still stuck on it. Isn't yours?)
Friend: "Are you serious? Your mom wrote that? Well, tell your mom that my mom was too busy to cook this weekend because she was reading your mom's book."
Misty: "I know what you mean. My mom's face is usually stuck in the computer too. We eat lots of pizza at my place."

Moral of the story: Our children only hear half of what we say. In this story, Bare Assets became Butt Assets. Does that mean, "Clean your room, " becomes "Destroy your room?" Think about it. Should the first half of anything we say be the last half? Is that what copy editing is all about? All I know is I should reevaluate the meal plan and toss in a bucket of chicken from time to time and really kick the menu up a notch.  ~ M. L. Stephens

No comments:

Post a Comment